Main Purpose of the Role
Building on prior experience in the Design, Development or Construction Management fields the successful candidate will be an integral member of a small team of internal subject matter experts which evaluate and manage risk in the build environment. The candidate will provide technical expertise, recommendations and support to the real estate investment process for both equity and debt opportunities across the United States.
The A/C/E Real Estate Project Manager position evaluates investment risk during acquisition, development, asset management, and underwriting, through their expertise in building design, construction, and environmental issues. The team member will coordinate physical and environmental due diligence on various real estate investments by managing 3rd party vendors and reporting recommendations to Investment Committee. The team member will evaluate new development projects by reviewing construction plans, budget, schedule etc. In addition, the role includes leading projects that drive the implementation, communication, and integration of sustainable practices that accelerate a global transition to a lower-carbon and more resilient future across the firm and its portfolio.
- Evaluate properties from a physical and environmental perspective by coordinating due diligence and environmental investigations in connection with proposed acquisitions and developments.
- Collaborating with investment professionals on key initiatives to support implementation of roadmap to meet AEW’s net zero commitment and other environmental and resilience objectives.
- Evaluate proposals for new construction projects including review of architecture and engineering design teams, general contractors, and JV developer, as well as assessments of construction drawings, schedules, budgets and other documents.
- Oversee project management for capital improvement projects, including scoping projects, developing budgets, negotiating and managing contracts, and directing consultant teams.
- Effectively communicate findings and recommendations which may impact asset performance to Portfolio Managers, Asset Managers and Acquisitions teams.
- Collaborate with Investments teams to establish annual capital projections for each asset under management.
- Bachelor’s Degree (master level preferred) in relevant discipline; Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management
- 7-10 years of hands-on construction, architectural or engineering design, physical due diligence, or similar experience.
- Experience with building systems and construction methods used in office, multi-family, industrial, retail and/or hotel building developments.
- Experience with building and property environmental matters including remediation and other risk mitigation strategies.
- High degree of initiative, a bias for action, and an entrepreneurial approach to developing innovative ideas that will stretch the firm and our industry.
- Advanced critical thinking skills and demonstrated ability to synthesize quantitative financial and sustainable values as well as qualitative inputs into business case preparation.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity, and demonstrated success in communicating complex topics in a logical and accessible manner to build consensus.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects concurrently, and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a hybrid environment across geographies and platforms.
- Ability to lead through influence and meaningfully support the professional development of others.
- Self-starter and highly organized individual able to work well in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Candidate should be flexible and curious, willing to ask questions and eager to learn.
- Ability to travel throughout US.
This role can be located in Los Angeles, Denver, or Boston.
At AEW, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The base pay for this role is between $100,000 and 150,000 per year. Your actual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, internal equity, and market conditions. Additional compensation and perks include:
- Annual bonus opportunity
- Eligibility for health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision)
- 401K plan with match and employer funded retirement account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition relief
- Parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Matching gift and volunteer programs
AEW Capital Management is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.