AEW is seeking to hire a Head of Asset Management for North America to oversee a team of asset-class specialists focused on creating value across AEW’s diverse portfolio of assets, held within separately managed accounts and commingled private equity funds. As the leader of a 75+ person team, the successful candidate will set strategic direction; promote a culture of excellence and fiduciary responsibility; provide guidance and support to the team; and partner with colleagues across the organization to drive growth of AEW’s new and existing assets.
The successful candidate will be an industry leader with a strong track record in asset management and a passion for managing people and processes. In addition to overseeing the asset management function, s/he will collaborate with portfolio management and investor relations to provide timely and useful communications to investors, both written and verbal. This person will operate as a member of the firm’s senior leadership team. More specifically, s/he will contribute to strategic planning and management at the private equity level.
The Head of Asset Management will report to Michael Byrne, Chief Investment Officer and Head of Private Equity and Debt for North America.
- Hire, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team of senior Asset Management professionals; establishing core standards and consistent approaches
- Participate in the Private Equity Senior Leadership Team to manage the private equity functions at AEW
- Work with Private Equity Finance and Fund Operations to ensure effective and collaborative delivery of services that support client needs
- Develop and execute strategic initatives for AEW’s private equity platform
- Work with the Head of Acquisitions to develop and maintain best practices for onboarding new acquisitions and joint-venture relationships
- Lead the development and execution of annual asset-level business plans, including capital plans, selection of leasing brokers and property managers, quarterly internal valuations, annual external independent appraisals, annual hold/sell analysis of each asset, and selection of sales brokers
- Work with property-sector leaders to develop, execute, and course-correct asset-level strategic plans designed in tandem with portfolio managers
- Oversee the development and approval of property-level budgets in conjunction with third-party property management firms
- Engage with the technology council and Asset Management Team to vet and ultimately implement select proptech initiatives. Additionally, help lead the team’s efforts to collect, track and utilize property and investment data more effectively
Investment and Firm-Wide Initiatives
- Provide asset- and market-level expertise to the investment committee, acquisitions, and research professionals
- Influence key stakeholders in company investment decisions
- Engage with the ESG Steering Committee to identify and implement firm-wide policies and procedures
- Proactively establish and maintain various industry contacts and relationships across the regions and nationally through various networking and real estate associations. This includes establishing a network with peers, competitors and vendors
- Actively participate in or designate other senior product specialists for sector-specific industry groups (NAIOP, ULI, NAREIM, REFA, NMHC, ICSC, etc.)
- 15+ years of relevant experience in asset management, portfolio management and/or operations
- Broad asset management expertise with an ability to oversee and understand multiple asset classes
- Prior management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Adaptability and flexibility, including a proactive and positive approach to problem-solving
- Team-orientation and ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a collaborative environment
AEW Capital Management is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.